Jute Rug - Patchwork
Description: Just at home in a rustic setting as it is in a modern space, this Jute Rug is part of The Dharma Door's first collection of natural floor coverings, this timeless floor rug has been handmade by fair trade artisans in remote, rural communities of Bangladesh. The women first weave jute shapes and then assemble the pattern, before stitching the pieces together using needle and thread.
The result is like a contemporary patchwork that adds warmth, texture and character to any space - an investment piece truly laden with meaningful making!
Designed by: The Dharma Door. An Australian company that has been commissioning the incredible skills of female artisans in remote, rural communities since 2004. Their goal is to genuinely empower as many people as possible out of the cycle of poverty and to bridge the gap between ethical production and contemporary style.
Size: 318 x 200 cm
- Plaited jute fibers
- Each shape is crafted by hand stitching rows of plaited jute, using wooden frames as guides to maintain the correct shape and size
- The shapes are hand stitched together with jute thread and a border is added to the rug
- The rugs are crafted entirely by hand with natural jute and special care is required to maintain their beautiful appearance.
- We suggest regular vacuuming of both sides of your rug to keep it fresh and free of dirt build-up. Occasionally take your rug outside on a dry day and shake or beat it to dislodge deeper dirt particles that your vacuum may not extract.
- Avoid prolonged direct sunlight or heat as this will discolour the jute fibres.
- Blot water-based spills with kitchen paper or an absorbent cloth as soon as possible. Do not rub stains or spills from your rug as this may spread the stain and loosen the jute fibres. For oil-based or coloured spills, please consult a specialist rug cleaning professional.
- You may choose a rug protection treatment prior to installing the rug in your space to prolong the life of your rug and minimise discolouration.